Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Hero of Light XIV

My hopes for KH3's Magic system

I agree with you 100%! I'm glad someone has brought it up. Bring back all the magics: natural, special and quirky. If this is the "ultimate" Kingdom Hearts and it's quite obvious that lots of classic approaches/styles to combat are returning (Drive Forms, Tech Points, Shotlocks, Flowmotion, ect.), then they should bring back all the spells we've come to love. 

Edited by Hallowseve

We already know that KH3's magic system will be an evolved version of KH2's magic system, returning the MP Charge Gauge and scrolling through a separate sub-menu of spells, while also taking inspiration from BBS's Finish Commands with higher level Situation Command spells acting like the finishers to KH2's magic combos. 0.2 pretty much showcases how it will work in KH3, and it does have me excited. And yet, I'm still looking for much more.

Since we're going back to a more Attack Abilities and Magic command list style of combat, we're going to be loosing the degree of customization and variety that games like BBS and DDD gave us with the Deck Commands. Now I prefer the more action-based dynamic combat of KH2 and I'm glad KH3 is going there, but I'd still like to have some way of maintaining the variety in attacks and spells that BBS and DDD gave us.

Well thankfully that doesn't seem like that tough of an issue to fix. For attacks, just make more unique Attack Abilities. More combo attacks, more unique finishers, and more unique ways of changing up your combos and finishing styles and of course maybe even throwing in a few Situation Commands based on attack finishers. 

And as for Magic? Even simpler, just give us a larger variety of upgradable spells. Don't just give us the bare minimum of Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Cure, and Aero, throw in almost every other element and unique, weird, and quirky type of magic that we've come across in the series and others we haven't seen yet. Really all you would have to do is just make a larger list space for the Magic sub menu and give it multiple pages, and we've already seen in 0.2 that that is possible with the Shortcut Commands. And no, it doesn't have to be as huge as BBS and DDD got with like 7-10 different Fire and Blizzard based commands like Slow Firaga or Triple Plasma and Icicle Splitter, etc. We've already seen that we're returning to the original evolution style where spells like Fire permanently evolve into Fira and Firaga later on, so just stick with that basic three-tier level of evolution and just make more spells that that would apply to.

Just focus on putting in mainstays like the main returning nature elements (Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Cure, Aero), special elements (Gravity, Stop, Zero-Gravity, Slow, Magnet, Reflect), newer or more advanced nature elements (Quake, Tornado, Meteor, WATER!!), Light and Darkness based spells (Faith, Dark Firaga, maybe even new permutations), unique spells (Spark, Balloon, Poison, Sleep, Bind, Confuse), and maybe even new creative ones (like Lunar based spells, or Nil, Illusion based ones like BBS's Unversed Illusions or DDD's new Vanish, or Haste), and a few ultimate spells (like Mega Flare, Freeze, Zero Graviza, Transcendence, etc.).

That's easily like 3 sub menus of 10-13 spells each, and Final Fantasy games are infamous for having huge menus for spells anyway, so if anything it'd be just as fitting to see that in a KH game like this one. It's only fair too as we won't be using a Deck Command system anymore so we won't be able to make specialized attacks and spells like we've been used to for the past 7 years or so, so it makes sense to make up for that by executing unique finishers and having a larger variety in selectable spells that take up varying amounts of MP. All you would have to do is up the variety of element types that the enemies come in to rationalize the larger variety of available spell types, that way you always have a new strategy to go through. Plus, this could let you get more unique and creative with your shortcut menus. Instead of just keeping the same spells locked in the same shortcuts the whole game through, you could be given more incentive to constantly change your shortcuts depending on the types of enemies you're more likely to encounter in each world. You'd get to have more fun with customizing your shortcuts instead of just touching that part of the pause menu like 5 times max.

Don't get me wrong, I got on just fine with just Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, and Curaga in 0.2 and their powered up Situation Commands, but after a while it just kind of gets to be a bit stale, when in the original Secret Episode Fragmentary Passage you still had access to all of the varied super-spells you've made throughout the course of BBS. It's still a fun system, it just needs more toys to play with basically. That's why I'm hoping that KH3 will make up the difference by making more unique attack abilities and a larger variety of spells and element types to give us a larger and constantly fresh experience no matter which world we're in and what attacks or spells we're using and what enemies we're up against.

Also, I just really want Water, come on Square.

So what do you think? Does a 3-paged sub-menu of 10-13 or so spells each sound like a reasonable way of getting more variety of spells into KH3 without it getting too overboard? I know I'm asking for a lot, but I just want more ways to go about playing this game without getting bored, and I really don't want it to feel like XV where I was stuck to a very minimal amount of spell types. But what other kinds of compromises can you think of that would avoid this issue of too few spells to play with? Let me know!

Quick question but...

How do you want Donald's magic in that game to be treated? Should it be like Sora's or like KH2's?

Oh, my fellow Keyblade Wielder, I too am looking forward to seeing how magic evolves in Sora's next grand adventure! Magic of the likes that Aqua used during her time in the Dark World really opened my eyes to just how powerful and how versatile spells can be in the final chapter of Xehanort's Saga! I don't think I'd ever used magic as much as I did in 0.2!

If this is a preview of how magic will work come Kingdom Hearts III, then I'll definitely be hooked on it!  And I agree, I'd welcome the experimentation that would come with discovering new spells and seeing how they'd fit into the overall aspect of combat! I'm sure that there'll be quite the variety, which will ensure there are dozens upon dozens of Situational Commands that produce creative chaos in combat! I'm really hoping magic is this fun in Kingdom Hearts III! :D

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Quick question but...

How do you want Donald's magic in that game to be treated? Should it be like Sora's or like KH2's?

I feel like it should be a mix between both. Like I liked how Donald had his own flavor of Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Cure (when it happened, lol), but I also prefer it when he get's up to the same level of magic Sora has like in KH1, so that those spells would be at higher levels, and not just the four main elements. So I guess I'd prefer him to have his own style of magic, but one that evolves and includes all of the elements that Sora has as well if that makes sense. And also make him actually heal me when I need it.

As long as they give us a means to cast a wide variety of magic, like what BBS and DDD had, I'm good. It would be unfortunate for us to have a devolution in the realm of magic. Thankfully, most of the KH titles that have been released, and that have the variety many of us crave, came out after KH2, so I feel like SE would feel obligated to put a good majority of those spells in KH3, lest we end up with an all too basic magic system. If nothing else though, they are giving us a lot already, between Drive, Shot Lock and Attraction Flow, so that does give us plenty to work with in terms of combat. So if magic doesn't end up taking some degree of priority, then at least we have those.

(I'll still be slightly irked though if we only get the basic magics).

I feel like it should be a mix between both. Like I liked how Donald had his own flavor of Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Cure (when it happened, lol), but I also prefer it when he get's up to the same level of magic Sora has like in KH1, so that those spells would be at higher levels, and not just the four main elements. So I guess I'd prefer him to have his own style of magic, but one that evolves and includes all of the elements that Sora has as well if that makes sense. And also make him actually heal me when I need it.

So how do you want his MP gauge to be like? Do you want it like KH2 where once he heals the player he loses all of his magic? Or like KH1 where he can you use multiple times?

Also do you want Goofy's MP Gift and Evolution to return?

So how do you want his MP gauge to be like? Do you want it like KH2 where once he heals the player he loses all of his magic? Or like KH1 where he can you use multiple times?

Also do you want Goofy's MP Gift and Evolution to return?

Eh, seems fair that his Cure uses all of his MP up, since yours still does. And yeah, I'd love Goofy to have more unique Support Abilities like MP Gift and Evolution as well, both Goofy and Donald need more unique abilities.

On another unrelated note, I hope Limits return.

Eh, seems fair that his Cure uses all of his MP up, since yours still does. And yeah, I'd love Goofy to have more unique Support Abilities like MP Gift and Evolution as well, both Goofy and Donald need more unique abilities.

On another unrelated note, I hope Limits return.

Then would you also want Drive Forms to return as well?

I'm just spit balling but I think Square only allows the player a small set of options. You can either have a playstyle where Donald & Goofy are capable party members (with various magic attacks & unique abilities, KH1) OR you can have almost useless party members whose only purpose is to help Sora with Limits & Drive Forms (KH2). 

And considering the KH3 trailers it looks more like it is headed in the KH2 direction. Sigh, despite popular opinion I really much prefer KH1's gameplay to KH2's.

Then would you also want Drive Forms to return as well?

I'm just spit balling but I think Square only allows the player a small set of options. You can either have a playstyle where Donald & Goofy are capable party members (with various magic attacks & unique abilities, KH1) OR you can have almost useless party members whose only purpose is to help Sora with Limits & Drive Forms (KH2). 

And considering the KH3 trailers it looks more like it is headed in the KH2 direction. Sigh, despite popular opinion I really much prefer KH1's gameplay to KH2's.

Um, they did say the AI was improving, so I'm not really worried about Donald and Goofy's performance (if 0.2 Mickey is anything to go by, things seem to be going smoothly). And they've made it pretty clear that Drive Forms are returning, so whether I want them to or not is irrelevant at this point...but for the record, yes I do. And no, it really seems like they're trying to go for a very varied and dynamic combat system with this game this time around. They seem to be doing what I always thought was best, adding options instead of taking them away. Maybe the Link Attacks/Styles will effectively replace the notion of Limits that KH2 introduced, but whether they do or not, I'm not getting the creeping impression that a ton of compromises have to be made to make anything they've added in work that you seem to be having. It's a much more powerful system they're working with, so I would imagine that their boundaries are greatly increased from any of the Gen 6-7 stuff we've been used to in the series.

Um, they did say the AI was improving, so I'm not really worried about Donald and Goofy's performance (if 0.2 Mickey is anything to go by, things seem to be going smoothly). And they've made it pretty clear that Drive Forms are returning, so whether I want them to or not is irrelevant at this point...but for the record, yes I do. And no, it really seems like they're trying to go for a very varied and dynamic combat system with this game this time around. They seem to be doing what I always thought was best, adding options instead of taking them away. Maybe the Link Attacks/Styles will effectively replace the notion of Limits that KH2 introduced, but whether they do or not, I'm not getting the creeping impression that a ton of compromises have to be made to make anything they've added in work that you seem to be having. It's a much more powerful system they're working with, so I would imagine that their boundaries are greatly increased from any of the Gen 6-7 stuff we've been used to in the series.

True, but I don't know. Sora himself already has too much on his plate to begin with (Command Menu, Drive Forms, Limits/Link Attacks, Flowmotions, Summons, Attraction Flow, Situation Commands, Keyblade Transformations/Shotlocks). I mean KH2 barely had half of these abilities and the average player didn't even use all of these abilities when going through the game. And while I do support a "broader" magic system like you stated I would only enjoy it if several of these abilities were removed from Sora's arsenal. Plus, these abilities seem a bit too "flashy" for my case. 

Idk maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the "hack & slash" route this series has taken. And KH3 has already proven that it will continue in this route. However, I've come to realize that my opinions aren't exactly popular among the fanbase so if this is what the fanbase wants then power to them. I guess I can hope for the KH game after KH3 to be a bit more RPG like (CoM) or being 50% Action/50% RPG like KH1 (which was my favorite). 

True, but I don't know. Sora himself already has too much on his plate to begin with (Command Menu, Drive Forms, Limits/Link Attacks, Flowmotions, Summons, Attraction Flow, Situation Commands, Keyblade Transformations/Shotlocks). I mean KH2 barely had half of these abilities and the average player didn't even use all of these abilities when going through the game. And while I do support a "broader" magic system like you stated I would only enjoy it if several of these abilities were removed from Sora's arsenal. Plus, these abilities seem a bit too "flashy" for my case. 

Idk maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the "hack & slash" route this series has taken. And KH3 has already proven that it will continue in this route. However, I've come to realize that my opinions aren't exactly popular among the fanbase so if this is what the fanbase wants then power to them. I guess I can hope for the KH game after KH3 to be a bit more RPG like (CoM) or being 50% Action/50% RPG like KH1 (which was my favorite). 

Uh, you speak as if Kingdom Hearts was "NEVER" a hack&slash game, lol. It's always been that from the start, it's differing styles of play just change and evolve with it. But whatever, those are your tastes I guess. Can't say I agree with them, I'm all for flashy attacks (you're talking to a born-again DBZ fan here) and more options to choose from when it comes to how I can play and attack in the game. I really don't want there to be much chance of me getting bored with KH3, so to me that means being able to have plenty of options on how to change up my approach. But I'm kind of a detail oriented guy, so I guess I could understand if the "average player" might feel overwhelmed by all of that.

I will say though that I feel it's much more refreshing to see a series like this continue to evolve and change and improve on itself rather than holding it's heyday to a lofty standard and trying to pander to nostalgia while missing the point of it. Mostly cause so many other franchises are trying to do that these days. So while KH1 may have been simple and easier to grasp and master, I'm more than looking forward to the well-implemented challenge that KH3's complexities will bring to the table and definitely hope there's plenty more to offer than what they've already shown us. But that's just me I guess, I just want this game to be the most it can be, even if it feels like it's 95% there (my Magic request would be like the last 5% I'd actually ask for, lol).

I like to think of it as a class choice scenario. Not everyone is going to use the hack and slash method, and not everyone is going to use Drive Forms. Only in my most recent playthrough of KH2 did I use Drive Forms as my main form of combat, particularly in boss battles, otherwise I stuck to the basic combo method, and I used primarily magic in BBS. Likewise, certain Keyblades have their strengths in certain areas, much like how there have always been Magic-focused Keyblades, Drive-focused Keyblades in KH2, Reality Shift-focus Keyblades in DDD, etc. So the user is really only going to get the most out of their combat preference depending on what Keyblade they use and/or what abilities they have in their arsenal. KH3 could be one of those DDD situations where you can really only have so many stat-based abilities active at a time. If nothing else, an AP system that keeps you from equipping every known ability, so you may actually have to think your build through. It may be too much for some players, sure, but it allows for a lot of flexibility in terms of play style, which personally, I think is great. After all, KH is an RPG at its core, and often times, with RPGs these days, it's largely about giving the player a choice of play style, be it by a class system or just an overall variety of command types.

Edited by Svard

Uh, you speak as if Kingdom Hearts was "NEVER" a hack&slash game, lol. It's always been that from the start, it's differing styles of play just change and evolve with it. But whatever, those are your tastes I guess. Can't say I agree with them, I'm all for flashy attacks (you're talking to a born-again DBZ fan here) and more options to choose from when it comes to how I can play and attack in the game. I really don't want there to be much chance of me getting bored with KH3, so to me that means being able to have plenty of options on how to change up my approach. But I'm kind of a detail oriented guy, so I guess I could understand if the "average player" might feel overwhelmed by all of that.

I will say though that I feel it's much more refreshing to see a series like this continue to evolve and change and improve on itself rather than holding it's heyday to a lofty standard and trying to pander to nostalgia while missing the point of it. Mostly cause so many other franchises are trying to do that these days. So while KH1 may have been simple and easier to grasp and master, I'm more than looking forward to the well-implemented challenge that KH3's complexities will bring to the table and definitely hope there's plenty more to offer than what they've already shown us. But that's just me I guess, I just want this game to be the most it can be, even if it feels like it's 95% there (my Magic request would be like the last 5% I'd actually ask for, lol).

Nah, KH HAS been a hack & slash however in a kind of limited fashion. I mean IMO I don't consider CoM, Re Coded, BBS, or even DDD to be real hack & slash games. Now KH1 & KH2 I could see. However, with KH1 I saw it as an "experiment." They were testing out a bunch of features for the game hence why it had various platforming, rpg, action, and hack& slash elements. When CoM came out they decided to push forward with the RPG elements but it wasn't that favorable (especially since it was sequel title on a handheld). So KH2 comes out and they push forward the combo system & hack/slash elements. And while that is great they push down or remove the various RPG & even platforming elements (til Final Mix) in favor of the hack/slash tendencies.

It's kind of KH1 is Dragon Age Origins and KH2 is Dragon Age II. KH2 & Dragon Age II are the "Actionized Sequels"

Why the "spin-off" titles haven't had too many hack/slash elements is probably because they were saving it for a numbered KH game.

I like to think of it as a class choice scenario. Not everyone is going to use the hack and slash method, and not everyone is going to use Drive Forms. Only in my most recent playthrough of KH2 did I use Drive Forms as my main form of combat, particularly in boss battles, otherwise I stuck to the basic combo method, and I used primarily magic in BBS. Likewise, certain Keyblades have their strengths in certain areas, much like how there have always been Magic-focused Keyblades, Drive-focused Keyblades in KH2, Reality Shift-focus Keyblades in DDD, etc. So the user is really only going to get the most out of their combat preference depending on what Keyblade they use and/or what abilities they have in their arsenal. KH3 could be one of those DDD situations where you can really only have so many stat-based abilities active at a time. If nothing else, an AP system that keeps you from equipping every known ability, so you may actually have to think your build through. It may be too much for some players, sure, but it allows for a lot of flexibility in terms of play style, which personally, I think is great. After all, KH is an RPG at its core, and often times, with RPGs these days, it's largely about giving the player a choice of play style, be it by a class system or just an overall variety of command types.

While you do bring up a good point with the "choose the playstyle" I would have much preferred the first game's method with the Station of Awakening. Where Sora got to choose his weapon. Plus, the "choose the playstyle" doesn't sound too RPG like. I mean I could play through a DMC game choosing a different playstyle as well. That doesn't make DMC an rpg or does it?

Nah, KH HAS been a hack & slash however in a kind of limited fashion. I mean IMO I don't consider CoM, Re Coded, BBS, or even DDD to be real hack & slash games. Now KH1 & KH2 I could see. However, with KH1 I saw it as an "experiment." They were testing out a bunch of features for the game hence why it had various platforming, rpg, action, and hack& slash elements. When CoM came out they decided to push forward with the RPG elements but it wasn't that favorable (especially since it was sequel title on a handheld). So KH2 comes out and they push forward the combo system & hack/slash elements. And while that is great they push down or remove the various RPG & even platforming elements (til Final Mix) in favor of the hack/slash tendencies.

It's kind of KH1 is Dragon Age Origins and KH2 is Dragon Age II. KH2 & Dragon Age II are the "Actionized Sequels"

Why the "spin-off" titles haven't had too many hack/slash elements is probably because they were saving it for a numbered KH game.

While you do bring up a good point with the "choose the playstyle" I would have much preferred the first game's method with the Station of Awakening. Where Sora got to choose his weapon. Plus, the "choose the playstyle" doesn't sound too RPG like. I mean I could play through a DMC game choosing a different playstyle as well. That doesn't make DMC an rpg or does it?

I really like action games, so still not a problem for me. To be honest, I always found the fundamental idea of a traditional RPG to be kind of silly. In what situation would you and your enemy wait patiently for the other to do an attack to each other or a self-beneficial action while respecting each other's turn? I get the strategy based element to it but you got to admit, it is kind of bizarre, lol. I mean I enjoy it from time to time, but I still find it rather weird after a while. KH always did it in a much more cohesive way for me, whether you and your enemy got to attack at any time you wanted regardless or if you had to let a ability, deck command, sleight, or spell recharge after a while, while still having access to other forms of action, they gave you some way of staying engaged in the fight the way that just standing still and taking turns could never quite do for me.

Again, I enjoy it as a novelty but not as a main go-to gameplay style. That's why I tend to prefer Action RPGs more, they take what DOES work well from RPGs but adds to what some feel is lacking from them. Now there are varying methods of balancing this, and I will admit that KH tends to lean a bit more on the action side than the RPG one (just a bit), but it's the balance I prefer and can appreciate best. Plus, I'm the kind of guy who usually tries to exhaust all my options within a game, so having even more options means more toys to play with for me.

im hoping for sora have some cool style commands and not just finishers like firaja for example. i really liked that they brought back spellweaver fro aqua in 0.2.

Also i do think that soras situation commands will be a lot more diverse than just a couple like Aqua thats for sure. im also lead to believe that in boss fights there will be specific SCs just like reaction commands in KH2.

I agree. The ability to choose what your main stat was going to be in the beginning is something I would like to see return. DMC, I wanna say, would classify as an action-adventure game with RPG elements, since you are collecting orbs to apply to traits and skills. In which case, I suppose you could technically classify Kingdom Hearts as such, as well, since it has action-based combat. I guess though, since KH has more classic RPG elements, people just classify it as an action-RPG.

Anyway, while I do like the potential variety of play styles, I do, at least, hope that SE has a way of keeping it all balanced. I would rather just able to have, essentially, a main style and secondary style with the mix of abilities active, while having everything else on the back burner, e.g. have magic and drive abilities active and keep shot lock, summon and other abilities inactive. I would assume that SE will bring back the AP system so as to keep something akin to that going. As you have mentioned though, it is a bit worrisome that they have all these abilities, and have a team working on the game that doesn't always keep it balanced. I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Make him heal like Mickey did in 0.2

Oh, my fellow Keyblade Wielder, I too am looking forward to seeing how magic evolves in Sora's next grand adventure! Magic of the likes that Aqua used during her time in the Dark World really opened my eyes to just how powerful and how versatile spells can be in the final chapter of Xehanort's Saga! I don't think I'd ever used magic as much as I did in 0.2!

If this is a preview of how magic will work come Kingdom Hearts III, then I'll definitely be hooked on it! And I agree, I'd welcome the experimentation that would come with discovering new spells and seeing how they'd fit into the overall aspect of combat! I'm sure that there'll be quite the variety, which will ensure there are dozens upon dozens of Situational Commands that produce creative chaos in combat! I'm really hoping magic is this fun in Kingdom Hearts III! :D

Honestly this. What I liked most about 0.2 is how powerful spells have become and I also used them more than any other time. I literally used Thunder 79 times xD

Edited by SoraKH

Honestly this. What I liked most about 0.2 is how powerful spells have become and I also used them more than any other time. I literally used Thunder 79 times xD

I hear you there, friend! I was surprised at how much I integrated magic into my combos! With Blizzaga being the spell I'd use most, since it was the most beautiful looking spell, and I liked sliding along the trail the ice crystal would leave! :3

But yes, magic like this in Kingdom Hearts III would definitely be tops! :D