Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Weedanort

Alert, Steam Malware Going Around!

[15:56] Weed: 

<<< ALERT, STEAM MALWARE
Many traders have complained that their unusuals/high tier items dissapeared from their inventories
This is because there is a malware on Steam right now that steals your items if you visit any Steam Profile and/or your Activity Feed
People are recommended to not visit profiles and their own activity feeds until the issue is solved
And to also run their anti virus for malware inspection
If you think you can be affected, change your Steam password, and enable Mobile Authenticator if you don't have it
No news about whether the items shall be regiven to the affected players
Fortunately I haven't been affected yet, so my unusuals remainWeed, Today 15:56

This was the message I've sent to several trading groups I'm in.
If you have any items of CS:GO, TF2, or anything Valve related, I highly suggets you defend yourself. Change your Steam password, run an anti virus, do what you must.

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5skfg4/warning_regarding_a_steam_profile_related_exploit/

Update: Valve has fixed the issue

At the start of the work day, Valve quickly took care of the problem. Apparently it was a script that could be inserted in the "My Guides" section of your profile (With a max of 128 characters in the script) that allowed to do anything. From having music in your Steam profile, to scamming people.

Valve didn't take care of the people who stole high tier items, as these people are still selling these stolen items.

This is some messed up bs right here, my friend lost his 70$ hat because of this, and Valve isn't taking care of the guy who stole it :(

Update: Valve has fixed the issue

At the start of the work day, Valve quickly took care of the problem. Apparently it was a script that could be inserted in the "My Guides" section of your profile (With a max of 128 characters in the script) that allowed to do anything. From having music in your Steam profile, to scamming people.

Valve didn't take care of the people who stole high tier items, as these people are still selling these stolen items.

This is some messed up bs right here, my friend lost his 70$ hat because of this, and Valve isn't taking care of the guy who stole it :(

Does this mean it's safe to check profiles/activity feeds again? I don't want to go on there until I know for sure that it's safe.

Does this mean it's safe to check profiles/activity feeds again? I don't want to go on there until I know for sure that it's safe.

Yeah, it's now safe to visit profiles/activity feeds :)

Valve took care of it right at the start of the working day (Which was at night for us in Europe)

Yeah, it's now safe to visit profiles/activity feeds :)

Valve took care of it right at the start of the working day (Which was at night for us in Europe)

Alright, thanks for letting us know!

It really sucks that they won't return any stolen items though. It's not the fault of the people who were robbed, this was an issue with Steam itself...

Alright, thanks for letting us know!

It really sucks that they won't return any stolen items though. It's not the fault of the people who were robbed, this was an issue with Steam itself...

Exactly, my friend already contacted Steam Support, but you know how that is, takes forever to actually get a reply x(

Exactly, my friend already contacted Steam Support, but you know how that is, takes forever to actually get a reply x(

And that's only if you get a reply... I hope that they'll fix everyone's inventories soon. I didn't lose anything since I didn't have anything to lose anyway, but I know that if I lost my library of games I'd be furious, and a lot of people put as much effort and money into their Steam inventory as I have my library.

And that's only if you get a reply... I hope that they'll fix everyone's inventories soon. I didn't lose anything since I didn't have anything to lose anyway, but I know that if I lost my library of games I'd be furious, and a lot of people put as much effort and money into their Steam inventory as I have my library.

I don't know anything about people losing games, but I do know about people losing hats around 500$, which is insane

Fortunately enough, my hats weren't stolen, I don't want my babies to be taken away xD