Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dezarius

Confusion and Play Order

After beating 2.8 and feeling even more confused than I was, I am ready to give up on this franchise, even though I played it when it first released when I was 15 years old, I am now 28. I have played 1 and 2 but I can't remember details and even if I could I didn't understand the KH plot at the time. It seems confusion is not rare when it comes to these games. A standard concern from new players thinking about playing the games. I now understand the games were made in a order as to make them confusing. and without anything else than 1 and 2 under your belt 13 years ago-  this 2.8 game isn't going to help you.

2.8 is if anything a service to fans who already know what's going on, not as advertised- shedding light on things for new players who want to play KH 3. Are you serious, I'm not a new player and it did the opposite for me. Imagine then being totally new to KH and playing 2.8, a bunch of random cut scenes and vague dialogue. The rational part of me wants to give up the franchise. But the stubborn part says I want to know what the heck is going on in these games once and for all.

Darkness, light, doors, and comments about heart by a million different characters doesn't say much honestly. I may seem that I dislike the games but I refer to them as my favorite games, even above the FF games which says some as I played FF7 at the age of 10. This is simply frustration. I wish the games were made more linear. It might not be as intriguing but it would certainly make the story more accessible. Minus the headaches of trying so hard to understand what's going on, you're actually understanding less.

My last hope now I playing all the collections for PS4, and somehow hope it all makes sense when played continually like that. This seems like a simple solution, but here too is confusion.

Do I play them chronologically, the place events actually took place? Do I play them by the order they first released? Do I play them by Disc, 1.5>2.5>2.8? 3 whole options, just for choosing a play order. And no info is actually giving, just like it wasn't for 2.8. I asked everywhere what order do I play the games on the 2.8 disc, and if the order they appear on the title menu is the intended order for the games. For the 2.8 disc that would mean DDD>0.2>Back Cover.

Edited by destructionzz@gmail.com

look up a twitter account named franxversus. He's spanish, but the tweet he has clipped in his wall is all you need to know for kingdom hearts play order.

For new players i wil suggest this order

- Birth By Sleep (2.5)

- kingdom hearts (1.5)

- Re: Chain of Memories (1.5)

- 358/2 days (1.5)

- kingdom Hearts 2 (2.5)

- Re: Coded (2.5)

- Dream Drop Distance (2.8)

- 0.2 Birth By Sleep (2.8)

- x Back Cover (2.8)

What you could so is play 0.2 after kh1. But this could create some confusing because of the scenes after the credits

After beating 2.8 and feeling even more confused than I was, I am ready to give up on this franchise, even though I played it when it first released when I was 15 years old, I am now 28. I have played 1 and 2 but I can't remember details and even if I could I didn't understand the KH plot at the time. It seems confusion is not rare when it comes to these games. A standard concern from new players thinking about playing the games. I now understand the games were made in a order as to make them confusing. and without anything else than 1 and 2 under your belt 13 years ago-  this 2.8 game isn't going to help you.

2.8 is if anything a service to fans who already know what's going on, not as advertised- shedding light on things for new players who want to play KH 3. Are you serious, I'm not a new player and it did the opposite for me. Imagine then being totally new to KH and playing 2.8, a bunch of random cut scenes and vague dialogue. The rational part of me wants to give up the franchise. But the stubborn part says I want to know what the heck is going on in these games once and for all.

Darkness, light, doors, and comments about heart by a million different characters doesn't say much honestly. I may seem that I dislike the games but I refer to them as my favorite games, even above the FF games which says some as I played FF7 at the age of 10. This is simply frustration. I wish the games were made more linear. It might not be as intriguing but it would certainly make the story more accessible. Minus the headaches of trying so hard to understand what's going on, you're actually understanding less.

My last hope now I playing all the collections for PS4, and somehow hope it all makes sense when played continually like that. This seems like a simple solution, but here too is confusion.

Do I play them chronologically, the place events actually took place? Do I play them by the order they first released? Do I play them by Disc, 1.5>2.5>2.8? 3 whole options, just for choosing a play order. And no info is actually giving, just like it wasn't for 2.8. I asked everywhere what order do I play the games on the 2.8 disc, and if the order they appear on the title menu is the intended order for the games. For the 2.8 disc that would mean DDD>0.2>Back Cover.

I don't think you were supposed to play 2.8 if the only KH games that you've played were 1 and 2. The games relies heavily on their stories and they all connect to each other unlike the majority of Final Fantasy games. Even if you played 1 and 2 when you were a child you were supposed to play Re:Chain of Memories before 2, because that was the true sequel to KH 1 which makes you understand 2's story better.

I think you need to wait for the 1.5+2.5 collections to arrive on the PS4 on March and then play them in release order: play all the games on 1.5 first the way they are shown on the main menu, then do the same with 2.5 and finally continue with 2.8

Getting all the three collections allows you to have every KH game on only 1 console.

Some people believe that every other game that isn't 1 and 2 are "spin-offs" or "not relevant to the story" which isn't true at all, they aren't numbered but from what I understood they are just important to the overall story as 1 and 2 are. For example Birth by Sleep is heavily connected with 0.2 on the 2.8 collection, same characters and all.

So yeah, in my opinion you need to get the 1.5+2.5 collections for the PS4 and then replay 2.8 and see if you understand the story better after doing so.

Edited by smellslikejavier

I would recommend you to wait and play 1.5+2.5 and then in the order:

KH I

KH Chain of Memorie

KH 358/2 Days

KH II

KH Birth by sleep

KH Re:coded

and then comes KH DDD, KH0.2 and KHXBackCover

I think it is the best order to understand everything (you can always start played KH unchained X on your phone, you don't really need much knowledge from the other games for that^^)

play them in order of release, since that's the order Nomura wrote them in. 

if you play them chronologically you'll only get confused due to the introduction of plot points that are only significant to those who have an understanding of the future games. 

the key for understanding the series is to not get bogged down by the details. so long as you have a basic understanding of the plots you'll be able to connect the dots and get along fine.

people have gone mad trying to figure out the intricate details that go into a KH plot. 

Welcome first of all. Second, I would play in this order (don't give up on the franchise just because you don't understand or it's too hard):

KHX/XBC

BbS

KH

Re:CoM

358/2 Days

Re:coded

HD3D

0.2BbSFP

For new players i wil suggest this order

- Birth By Sleep (2.5)

- kingdom hearts (1.5)

- Re: Chain of Memories (1.5)

- 358/2 days (1.5)

- kingdom Hearts 2 (2.5)

- Re: Coded (2.5)

- Dream Drop Distance (2.8)

- 0.2 Birth By Sleep (2.8)

- x Back Cover (2.8)

What you could so is play 0.2 after kh1. But this could create some confusing because of the scenes after the credits

He should NOT play BBS or UX at first as both rely on story aspects from further KH games.

The best order would be:

1. KH1

2. Chain Of Memories

3. 358/2 Days

4. KH2

5. Birth by Sleep

6. Re Coded

7. Dream Drop Distance

8. 0.2 Birth by Sleep

9. X/UX/XBC

Birth by Sleep feels more intense/sad if you know whats going to happen to Terra or more precisely who he is going to be in KH1 & KH2.

I would recommend you this order. :)

SPOILER

I was literally shocked during BBS, because of the fact that Terra is somehow the Final Boss in KH1 & 2 aka Ansem SoD & Xemnas..

He should NOT play BBS or UX at first as both rely on story aspects from further KH games.

The best order would be:

1. KH1

2. Chain Of Memories

3. 358/2 Days

4. KH2

5. Birth by Sleep

6. Re Coded

7. Dream Drop Distance

8. 0.2 Birth by Sleep

9. X/UX/XBC

Birth by Sleep feels more intense/sad if you know whats going to happen to Terra or more precisely who he is going to be in KH1 & KH2.

I would recommend you this order. :)

SPOILER

I was literally shocked during BBS, because of the fact that Terra is somehow the Final Boss in KH1 & 2 aka Ansem SoD & Xemnas..

Okay, I could see why. I reason that chronological order would serve best because if you understand the beginning, then the rest will be much easier.

Once you do play the other games and look up some stuff, it's not that bad. But yeah, playing this after just 1 and 2 isn't optimal. I recommend you play them in either a linear order (1.5 - 2.5- 2.8, but watch Back Cover before 0.2)or release order. Chronological helps, but not much.

>Play 1.5 from left to right (some people will say leave 358/2 Days until after you play KH2 but Nomura did put it in here for a reason so it's fine).

>Play 2.5 from left to right.

>Play 2.8 from left to right (I've heard it's better to watch Back Cover before playing 0.2 but idk)

And BAM, you're all ready for KH3!

Peace!

Edited by Yuya Sakaki

>Play 1.5 from left to right (some people will say leave 358/2 Days until after you play KH2 but Nomura did put it in here for a reason so it's fine).

>Play 2.8 from left to right (I've heard it's better to watch Back Cover before playing 0.2 but idk)

Peace!

The reason why you play KH2 before Days is Roxas. The opening of KH2 clearly wanted to establish Roxas as a mystery character and that's lost if you watch in the context of seeing 358/2 Days first. Days relies on knowledge of KH2 to further develop the characters and it makes the ending more effective and sad when you know what ends up happening to Roxas.

On a side note, I cringe when people recommend a newbie play the games in chronological order (cringe).  Release order, end of discussion.

Edited by KingdomShader13

Peace!

Thanks, that's a relief. It also makes sense, if they intended us to play them chronologically they probably would have released them in chronological order to begin with. Also newer releases have twists and references which wouldn't seem significant or relatable if you hadn't played the earlier release(s). Like say BBS referencing something in KH1, would not make sense if you hadn't played KH 1 prior to BBS- something you would not have if you played the games chronologically.

I decided that I will have to get 1.5/2.5 collection to get a clearer picture of the story, and only having played 1 and 2 so long ago I'm not sure KH 3 will be that rewarding. It was a given that I would play KH 3, as 1 and 2 were one of my all-time favorites. However after playing 2.8 it was clear I had missed a lot story-wise and it was confusing. I can't expect to understand KH 3 any better than 2.8, if I don't fill some gaps in the story. KH 3 has been one of my most anticipated games since after KH2, yet it didn't occur to me that playing the other games would be that vital.

What I would like to know is how vital is it that I play Chain of Memories and Dream Drop Distance? Playing through the other games seems daunting enough without the ports. It will be time-consuming and maybe a bit too much KH as is, but I feel the ports will make it a chore. If I can skip them I think I can get motivated for this. Obviously playing all is best, but I am asking if there is still a point to playing 1.5/2.5 without CoM and DDD? If it comes down to skipping CoM/DDD, or not getting 1.5/2.5 collection at all.

Thanks, that's a relief. It also makes sense, if they intended us to play them chronologically they probably would have released them in chronological order to begin with. Also newer releases have twists and references which wouldn't seem significant or relatable if you hadn't played the earlier release(s). Like say BBS referencing something in KH1, would not make sense if you hadn't played KH 1 prior to BBS- something you would not have if you played the games chronologically.

I decided that I will have to get 1.5/2.5 collection to get a clearer picture of the story, and only having played 1 and 2 so long ago I'm not sure KH 3 will be that rewarding. It was a given that I would play KH 3, as 1 and 2 were one of my all-time favorites. However after playing 2.8 it was clear I had missed a lot story-wise and it was confusing. I can't expect to understand KH 3 any better than 2.8, if I don't fill some gaps in the story. KH 3 has been one of my most anticipated games since after KH2, yet it didn't occur to me that playing the other games would be that vital.

What I would like to know is how vital is it that I play Chain of Memories and Dream Drop Distance? Playing through the other games seems daunting enough without the ports. It will be time-consuming and maybe a bit too much KH as is, but I feel the ports will make it a chore. If I can skip them I think I can get motivated for this. Obviously playing all is best, but I am asking if there is still a point to playing 1.5/2.5 without CoM and DDD? If it comes down to skipping CoM/DDD, or not getting 1.5/2.5 collection at all.

It's imperative to play Dream Drop Distance before KH3. You can't skip that one. Chain isn't nearly as imperative to play but I'd recommend watching the cutscenes if you can't stand the gameplay. 

It's imperative to play Dream Drop Distance before KH3. You can't skip that one. Chain isn't nearly as imperative to play but I'd recommend watching the cutscenes if you can't stand the gameplay. 

Honestly I started DDD HD version and I hated everything, music, gameplay, graphics, the slow combat like a KH 1 downgrade, the "mini-game" right off the bat is dizzying, annoying and unnecessary. Also this game is supposed to be what happens before KH 3, yet Sora and Riku are kids for some reason and going to Traverse Town, and what's up with the manga kid with the headphones.

Then there is the fact that Sora has this annoying voice- I must have missed when they decided to change Haley Joel Osment, he was great. Rikus voice also seems different, both in this and 0.2 BBS ending- as compared to KH1/2. There were other voices I felt had changed too but I can't recall, everything just seems different from the time I played the games.

Overall the game feels too slow and chore-like, and not what I expected from a prequel to KH 3. I do realize it's originally a DS game so I'm not sure how I expected a brand new PS4-quality KH game out of it. I guess Fragmentary Passage set up my expectations, spoiled me and left me wanting more fresh KH gameplay (I played it first.)

Due to the convoluted plot, I'd suggest playing them in release order, like how 1.5+2.5 are set up.

- KH1

- ReCoM

- 358/2 Days

- KH2

- BbS

- Re:coded

- DDD

- KHx/KHUx/KHxBC

- 0.2BbS

idk if anyone else already replied to this but just in case this is the order

KH1

Chain of memories

358/2 days (you can watch the movie thing)

KH2

BBS

Coded movie thing

Dream Drop Distance

x Back Cover

KH3

Now all you have to do is pay attention while playing the games lol its still going to be confusing as hell but in the end itll start to make more sense which is what i love most about the KH series.

idk if anyone else already replied to this but just in case this is the order

KH1

Chain of memories

358/2 days (you can watch the movie thing)

KH2

BBS

Coded movie thing

Dream Drop Distance

x Back Cover

KH3

Now all you have to do is pay attention while playing the games lol its still going to be confusing as hell but in the end itll start to make more sense which is what i love most about the KH series.

That's what I'm hoping. It would be too bad if the story still didn't make sense after that. Or if it disappointed somehow. The story better have some real substance once you find it, or else all the mystery was rather superfluous. It would be nice to know that the end reward is worth it.

Honestly I started DDD HD version and I hated everything, music, gameplay, graphics, the slow combat like a KH 1 downgrade, the "mini-game" right off the bat is dizzying, annoying and unnecessary. Also this game is supposed to be what happens before KH 3, yet Sora and Riku are kids for some reason and going to Traverse Town, and what's up with the manga kid with the headphones.

Then there is the fact that Sora has this annoying voice- I must have missed when they decided to change Haley Joel Osment, he was great. Rikus voice also seems different, both in this and 0.2 BBS ending- as compared to KH1/2. There were other voices I felt had changed too but I can't recall, everything just seems different from the time I played the games.

Overall the game feels too slow and chore-like, and not what I expected from a prequel to KH 3. I do realize it's originally a DS game so I'm not sure how I expected a brand new PS4-quality KH game out of it. I guess Fragmentary Passage set up my expectations, spoiled me and left me wanting more fresh KH gameplay (I played it first.)

They didn't changed Haley Joel Osment, he's the one voicing Sora on DDD, he just grow older so that's why he voice might've changed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Joel_Osment#Video_games, people said the same thing when they heard Sora on the latest KH 2.8 trailer when that was also Haley voicing him. They have Google and don't use it before making such comments. The only time they changed his voice was in Birth By Sleep for his depiction as a child, were he was voiced by Luke Manriquez, but Haley has been his voice on pretty much every other entry.

That "manga kid with the headphones" you're talking about is the protagonist of the DS video game "The World Ends With You", if you haven't played it or haven't played some other Final Fantasy games you won't recognize some characters of the KH series, because after all is a Square Enix + Disney crossover series. That's why I bought some FF games and played TWEWY (and watched many Disney's movies) just to familiarize myself with the characters once I get to play the KH series.

Also don't make it so hard, just get the 1.5+2.5 collections on March, play all of them in order and that's it, don't skip anything. Easy. KH 3 is still miles away so you still have a lot of time to catch up with the entire series.

Edited by smellslikejavier

They didn't changed Haley Joel Osment, he's the one voicing Sora on DDD, he just grow older so that's why he voice might've changed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Joel_Osment#Video_games, people said the same thing when they heard Sora on the latest KH 2.8 trailer when that was also Haley voicing him. They have Google and don't use it before making such comments. The only time they changed his voice was in Birth By Sleep for his depiction as a child, were he was voiced by Luke Manriquez, but Haley has been his voice on pretty much every other entry.

That "manga kid with the headphones" you're talking about is the protagonist of the DS video game "The World Ends With You", if you haven't played it or haven't played some other Final Fantasy games you won't recognize some characters of the KH series, because after all is a Square Enix + Disney crossover series. That's why I bought some FF games and played TWEWY (and watched many Disney's movies) just to familiarize myself with the characters once I get to play the KH series.

Also don't make it so hard, just get the 1.5+2.5 collections on March, play all of them in order and that's it, don't skip anything. Easy. KH 3 is still miles away so you still have a lot of time to catch up with the entire series.

Thanks for the reply. To me Sora in DDD sounded like a younger voice, maybe I need to listen again- either way my bad. I have not played TWEWY but I recall the game now that you mentioned it, that explains why I recognized him. As for FF I have been a fan since I was 10, so 18 years. I also grew up with Disney movies so I know most.

I typically tend to play in the order the menu has presented, but maybe when 1.5+2.5 comes out I'll play them in release order, i.e. 1, Re:CoM, 2, Days, BBS, Re:Coded, then play 2.8 again with DDD, but then switch the order of X Back Cover and 0.2, because A) it makes more sense to watch that scene in 0.2's beginning after having watched X BC, and B) X and Unchained X technically came out before 0.2, so it technically makes sense to see that first before 0.2. Really I think the only reason they ordered it that way was so they could stick to the format the other two collections followed: Game, Game, Movie.

So my preferred orders are either 1, Re:CoM, Days, 2, BBS, Re:Coded, DDD, 0.2, X BC (menu order) or 1, Re:CoM, 2, Days, BBS, Re:Coded, DDD, X BC, 0.2 (original release order). Which order you follow is up to you. I originally followed the menu order for the sake of presentation, but now that I experienced each one once, I feel that I'm going to play them all in original release order when 1.5+2.5 comes out...unless they order it in release order, you know, like an anniversary collection SHOULD do.

Because of that, I would highly recommend replaying them in original release order, because when you get down to how each game's story is written, it's made with the idea in mind that you experienced the story of the game that released before it. So yes, while you could theoretically watch 358/2 Days right after playing Re:Chain of Memories, there's going to be certain nuances that you might not catch because you haven't played KH2 yet, things like Roxas saying "I could survive a week of Summer Vacation, maybe" or  Axel saying "No way you would forget Xemnas' name, right?" Days came out after KH2, so the idea is that you already know most of the characters in that game and the eventual fate of what is to become of Roxas, so the drama of the story is in how you slowly approach that fate. So it's for that reason that I feel that it makes more sense to watch Days after playing Re:CoM and KH2 because by that point you have the context you need to understand the more nuanced things in Days, the events it's teasing, the ultimate fate of the characters, how certain events in KH2 came to be, etc.

I'm just using Days as an example, I would apply this to ALL the games in the series, as Birth by Sleep's ending clearly counts on you having already completed Days and KH2 to understand anything (what with Xion, Roxas, Namine, and Axel showing up towards the end), and Re:Coded's opening and ending acknowledges the events of BBS, so it makes even more sense to watch that after everything else. 

When you get down to it, it feels much more natural and organic to just follow the story of the series in the order it kept developing and expanding. Really I think more fans end up confusing themselves even more by trying to play and understand the series in a chronological order. Yeah, you could do that, but I'd recommend it more if you have a better grasp of what is going on in the series (think of it as the "Critical Mode" of the whole franchise), and based on how frustrated you are right now, I think it would end up confusing you even more rather than actually help you understand it better. Just do yourself a favor and play all these in their original intended order, I swear it fits into place much more naturally that way.

In fact, if you're willing to go the extra mile, I'd also recommend playing through the DS versions of 358/2 Days and Re:Coded alongside their movie counterparts so that you get even more context, as those movies tend to leave out a lot things that in some ways add to the overall story of each game. It's not necessary to understand them, but it's more fun that way in my opinion.

Edited by Hero of Light XIV

I typically tend to play in the order the menu has presented, but maybe when 1.5+2.5 comes out I'll play them in release order, i.e. 1, Re:CoM, 2, Days, BBS, Re:Coded, then play 2.8 again with DDD, but then switch the order of X Back Cover and 0.2, because A) it makes more sense to watch that scene in 0.2's beginning after having watched X BC, and B) X and Unchained X technically came out before 0.2, so it technically makes sense to see that first before 0.2. Really I think the only reason they ordered it that way was so they could stick to the format the other two collections followed: Game, Game, Movie.

So my preferred orders are either 1, Re:CoM, Days, 2, BBS, Re:Coded, DDD, 0.2, X BC (menu order) or 1, Re:CoM, 2, Days, BBS, Re:Coded, DDD, X BC, 0.2 (original release order). Which order you follow is up to you. I originally followed the menu order for the sake of presentation, but now that I experienced each one once, I feel that I'm going to play them all in original release order when 1.5+2.5 comes out...unless they order it in release order, you know, like an anniversary collection SHOULD do.

Because of that, I would highly recommend replaying them in original release order, because when you get down to how each game's story is written, it's made with the idea in mind that you experienced the story of the game that released before it. So yes, while you could theoretically watch 358/2 Days right after playing Re:Chain of Memories, there's going to be certain nuances that you might not catch because you haven't played KH2 yet, things like Roxas saying "I could survive a week of Summer Vacation, maybe" or  Axel saying "No way you would forget Xemnas' name, right?" Days came out after KH2, so the idea is that you already know most of the characters in that game and the eventual fate of what is to become of Roxas, so the drama of the story is in how you slowly approach that fate. So it's for that reason that I feel that it makes more sense to watch Days after playing Re:CoM and KH2 because by that point you have the context you need to understand the more nuanced things in Days, the events it's teasing, the ultimate fate of the characters, how certain events in KH2 came to be, etc.

I'm just using Days as an example, I would apply this to ALL the games in the series, as Birth by Sleep's ending clearly counts on you having already completed Days and KH2 to understand anything (what with Xion, Roxas, Namine, and Axel showing up towards the end), and Re:Coded's opening and ending acknowledges the events of BBS, so it makes even more sense to watch that after everything else. 

When you get down to it, it feels much more natural and organic to just follow the story of the series in the order it kept developing and expanding. Really I think more fans end up confusing themselves even more by trying to play and understand the series in a chronological order. Yeah, you could do that, but I'd recommend it more if you have a better grasp of what is going on in the series (think of it as the "Critical Mode" of the whole franchise), and based on how frustrated you are right now, I think it would end up confusing you even more rather than actually help you understand it better. Just do yourself a favor and play all these in their original intended order, I swear it fits into place much more naturally that way.

In fact, if you're willing to go the extra mile, I'd also recommend playing through the DS versions of 358/2 Days and Re:Coded alongside their movie counterparts so that you get even more context, as those movies tend to leave out a lot things that in some ways add to the overall story of each game. It's not necessary to understand them, but it's more fun that way in my opinion.

To be honest I'm not that much of a gamer anymore, so 1.5/2.5/2.8 on PS4 will be plenty for me. Besides I'm not a fan of playing different consoles, nor handheld/mobile games. That aside, thanks a lot for your added input. I'm pretty confident that release order is how I want to play them.

On another note, here's something a bit strange. Days is put on the 1.5 disc likely due to it taking place before KH2 chronologically, so that way it makes sense. Meanwhile BBS is put on the 2.5 disc, yet BBS is chronologically out of place here as it happened way before KH1. I understand BBS -released- after KH2, but if they went by that logic Days should be on 2.5 and KH2 on 1.5- as Days released after KH2. Sure it's not a big thing but why not stick to either chronological or release order on the discs.

To be honest I'm not that much of a gamer anymore, so 1.5/2.5/2.8 on PS4 will be plenty for me. Besides I'm not a fan of playing different consoles, nor handheld/mobile games. That aside, thanks a lot for your added input. I'm pretty confident that release order is how I want to play them.

On another note, here's something a bit strange. Days is put on the 1.5 disc likely due to it taking place before KH2 chronologically, so that way it makes sense. Meanwhile BBS is put on the 2.5 disc, yet BBS is chronologically out of place here as it happened way before KH1. I understand BBS -released- after KH2, but if they went by that logic Days should be on 2.5 and KH2 on 1.5- as Days released after KH2. Sure it's not a big thing but why not stick to either chronological or release order on the discs.

They mostly did that to stay consistent with the amount of content in the collection. Relatively speaking, BBS has roughly the same amount as Re:CoM, if not a bit more. It would have felt like too much too soon if it was partnered with 1.5, plus again, they wanted to have everything in a Game, Game, Movie order, so having one disc be Game, Game, Game, then Movie, Game, Movie wouldn't make any sense. This kept them consistent, plus they followed their release and chronological order relatively closely. But now that everything will be on one disc, know knows how they'll order it? I'm personally hoping for release order, since they're all in the same disc anyway.

They mostly did that to stay consistent with the amount of content in the collection. Relatively speaking, BBS has roughly the same amount as Re:CoM, if not a bit more. It would have felt like too much too soon if it was partnered with 1.5, plus again, they wanted to have everything in a Game, Game, Movie order, so having one disc be Game, Game, Game, then Movie, Game, Movie wouldn't make any sense. This kept them consistent, plus they followed their release and chronological order relatively closely. But now that everything will be on one disc, know knows how they'll order it? I'm personally hoping for release order, since they're all in the same disc anyway.

That makes sense. Yeah it'd be convenient if they put them in order of release. By the way is the length of CoM, DDD, BBS relative to KH 1 and KH2, or are they much smaller games?

That makes sense. Yeah it'd be convenient if they put them in order of release. By the way is the length of CoM, DDD, BBS relative to KH 1 and KH2, or are they much smaller games?

Eh, length of a game is kind of a tricky thing to nail down, it really depends on the player. Usually whenever Nomura and the rest of the team talk length, they usually refer to an AVERAGE playtime, not taking into consideration speedrunners or those who would take their time doing every little thing imaginable. Let's just say you played to just move in a mostly-linear fashion, for the sake of getting through the story, while also taking the time to complete all the minigames and optional side-objectives at least once. KH1 and KH2 could probably take you up to a week, week and a half, maybe even two weeks depending on what your pacing is. Chain of Memories might depend on the version, whether it be the GBA or Playstation version, odds are, again, depending on your skill level and playstyle, that it might take you a week to a week and a half to complete that game, be it CoM or Re:CoM. Re:Coded has a similar pace to it, as does DDD, but Days and BBS are slightly longer than those, I would put them somewhere in the middle of KH1/KH2 and Re:CoM/Re:Coded/DDD. They aren't as lengthy as a numbered title (at least as far as a single character campaign goes), but they still can find a way to stretch itself far depending on how you play. Could even take up to 2 weeks depending on your pacing.

I'm saying that a lot, "depending on your pacing", because that's ultimately the uncounted variable here, odds are you're going to play it differently than the hypothetical "average player" would play it. You'll either get through all of them faster or take even more time to prolong the experience. I typically tend to prolong my experiences, taking occasional moments to level up, get particular items, or complete extra objectives, sometimes for the sake of getting more weapons or abilities to make future battles more epic (such as getting Salvation and Faith for Ven and Sora's final battles in BBS and DDD, respectively). So for me my average play time on any given title would be at least a week, maybe even more if I'm doing it right. Unfortunately I had to rush my playthrough of 2.8 since it came out 2 days before school started up again, so I didn't get much of a chance to savor it. And really that's my goal with each of these games, to savor the experience. But that's not everyone, some just like the challenge of running through as fast as possible.

In any case, yes you could say by comparison KH1 and KH2 are a bit more packed with content to make you play longer (assuming you do every little thing available in those games, INCLUDING the Gummi Ship missions), so odds are those two games will take you the longest, but depending on how you play, every other game could take a similar amount of time to beat, some just make it a bit easier to breeze through than others.