Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Master Ignis

How would you alter/improve the Kingdom Hearts series?

...Or at least any of the installments individually. I haven't seen a whole lot of threads about such, so I went ahead and made this. If there are any already made similar to this one, then I must've overlooked it and I apologise.

Anyways, this thread's for any KH fan out there who express what they would've done to make the games a better experience for them and others. Whether it be the characters, stories, gameplay, etc. I can't think of anything of my own for now, but maybe you do and could.

Please feel free to express your thoughts and ideas in the comment section down below. Thank you.

Eh, not much other than clear up some plot holes way earlier and better and expand the lore in a slightly more consistent manner. Basically just explain things better and explain them more. Other than that, I would only want to give a bit more room to flesh out particular characters more, but that's basically about it. The series is pretty golden to me on everything else, and even then I can live with how it's been handled so far.

Clear any doubts from ddd's plot via cutscenes, improve on the 358/2 days gameplay, correct hd remixes glitches and tweak a few cutscenes from kingdom hearts 1 to make it fully connect to the plot of the games that came after it.

Add Final Fantasy characters in Disney worlds that are not Olympus Colosseum. I always found that so infuriating.

Edited by Guest

Inb4 "the franchise is a golden masterpiece so I wouldn't change a damn thing!"

Have Birth By Sleep be the last game to be released in the Sora/Kairi/Riku's story.

Make Birth By Sleep good

Make 358 Days a full scale PS3 game.

Give RE COM a KH1 esque battle system

Then from there start making this franchise like Final Fantasy and giving each numbered game a self contained world. There can be some sequels and spin offs for each numbered title.

I'd have Donald actually remember going to Yensids tower in BBS. Or I would not have had him in that scene in BBS in the first place that way him asking "WHa..Master Yensid lives here?" in KH2 isn't a glaring plothole.

I would've expanded the story & characters of Birth by Sleep. It felt like terra's fall into darkness was just way too quick & It kind of felt like the game was incomplete & we were supposed to learn more about not just the main protagonists but eraqus & xehanort as well. Hopefully kh 3 will fill in the missing gaps in their story because i love their characters

Everybody is going to hate me for this first one

-- KH1: Rewrite KH1's entire storyline. Keep the things that work, snip out the things that don't like the problems with the SDG dynamic and Sora's entire character and make it feel more of a stronger narrative then just happy go-go fun time hour.

-- COM: The card system is fine, doesn't need to change, but Riku's story (in terms of world to world, not inbetween) could be a little more enticing than just fighting rando KH1 bosses he never met. Also, make Marluxia a chick like originally intended.

-- KH2: Roxas' scene where he attacks Sora through his heart was very powerful but maybe a little more clarification on why he did it would help make it even stronger. Also, delete Atlantica. Literally everything about it. Replace it with Neverland again, I don't care, just get rid of it.

-- BBS: There's not much exploration to really be done in this game and that's a shame. I know it's a prequel and doesn't really have much grounds to really explore extra things in the same sense as KH1 or 2, but just a little more depth won't hurt.

And that's all I can think of.

Wow...a lot of suggestions on how to fix Kingdom Hearts. I kinda wish Tetsuya Nomura would just hop into this forum and tell us what he thinks could change. But I guess I could give my ideas.

1) Maybe more sequences like the 1000 heartless challenge...That was freaking fun!

2) Maybe give us more from DDD by showing us or letting us play as Sora as he gets prepped for his next journey in KH3. Maybe tell us what he was doing when he left. He seemed a bit too damn happy that Riku earned master rank and he didn't...even though he kinda proved he was not exactly ready for it. Did he get a second chance like Terra did (although to be frank Terra screwed that up too)? Did he just go home to tell his mom who was likely wondering what the hell her son has been doing since he was 14 and disappeared? Did he just go out to other worlds and say hello to everyone he promised to say hi to in other games? What was he doing?!? I want to know what he was up to between DDD's ending and KH3!

3) Give us a special spin off game that, like Unchained x, is sorta important to the story.

4) For KH3 put sora in the world we went through in KH 1 and 2 and give us the story lines of those world's movies' sequels. So instead of new worlds with you'd have to get Disney's complete and total insight on, just ask Disney to use the Direct-to-video sequels' plots. There are a few good ones in there, like The Lion King 2, Lillo and Stitch 2 or Leroy and Stich (they were tolerable and were a send-off for the TV series), Pocahontas (the original folks! The sequel sucked ass and it was a cheap way for them to not have Mel Gibson in 3/4 of the film), Tarzan 2 (it was decent enough.), 101 Dalmatians 2 (the original's was alright but the sequel was actually more enjoyable than I had thought), Lady and the Tramp 2 ( :lol:  That movie sucked, I'm just adding it for emphasis to my idea.) are all good sequel to take a look into using the plot lines to.

5) Just keep the story as it is. Yeah sure it's complicated, but I like complicated! A lot of people would rather think about the lore than know it by heart! It's what keeps Star Wars and Star Trek fans so into the series, it's rich and fascinating and I would hate to see Kingdom Hearts go Mr. Simple on us. A story has to have you inclined to continue playing to get the whole picture! That's where games like Destiny (whose lore is on their website and not in-game) fail. They make you stop playing to learn more about the game's lore and that sucks! Keep us guessing Square Enix!

6) When it's all said and done for Sora himself, don't stop the franchise! Keep it going, we've had lots of adventures with him and the other Keyblade warriors! Give us a new protagonist when Sora is no longer able to use the Keyblade! Give a story where Sora has to pass on his knowledge to the next generations (perhaps his son or daughter?) and give us a new adorkable Keyblade wielder to cheer on!

7) GIVE US AN ANIME!!! Square-Enix and Disney need to stop beating around the bush and just do it already!!! "It's gonna be on Disney xD exclusively..." one would say. To that I say...okay then! Give us a KH anime! I don't care how you do it, as long as it coincides with the games enough that it isn't obvious.

and that's all I got...whew...where's my Pulitzer Prize?!?!?

Edited by Niko Collins

2) Maybe give us more from DDD by showing us or letting us play as Sora as he gets prepped for his next journey in KH3. Maybe tell us what he was doing when he left. He seemed a bit too damn happy that Riku earned master rank and he didn't...even though he kinda proved he was not exactly ready for it. Did he get a second chance like Terra did (although to be frank Terra screwed that up too)? Did he just go home to tell his mom who was likely wondering what the hell her son has been doing since he was 14 and disappeared? Did he just go out to other worlds and say hello to everyone he promised to say hi to in other games? What was he doing?!? I want to know what he was up to between DDD's ending and KH3!

What do you mean "get prepped"? KH3 looks like it's going to start immediately after 0.2.

I don't really have an in-depth idea how to improve certain titles, just a few things I personally wasn't satisfied with.

I would change a bunch of 358/2 Days. Xion is really cute, I've learned to adore her through the manga since the Cutscenes on 1.5 are kinda meh sometimes, but I was pretty pissed about the second "Hey let's just forget about her!" Plot. They've done that with Naminé, they shouldn't have done it before. Make it less repetitive, give us more interaction between Roxas and the Org and other Org members. I would've loved to see more of Zexion and Lexaeus for example, flesh out the characters a little bit more, CoM was not enough for me.

Also, after KH2 threw Rokunami at us, I was expecting Roxas and Naminé to actually interact somehow? I know that he wasn't allowed to know her when KH2 started and that she escaped the Org, but I would've loved to see more happen between them. A reason for Naminé to want to meet him aside from him being Sora's nobody, a reason for Roxas to reach out for her aside from her being Kairi's nobody. In a way, they could've used plot points they did use in Days, just with Naminé. I really didn't like that they wasted this opportunity.

With BBS, I wished it would've released on the PS3. More game space, more power. Give the plot more time to develop, give TAV more spotlight and interactions so we feel their friendship even more, make it longer or change something about the levels because it's kinda unsatisfying to know that you can beat the Final Boss starting at level 30 (well, not me though xD). Oh and capes. Give us the capes back :((

And even more in general: More. Kairi. More interactions between Kairi and her best friends. I don't even mean KH1, CoM or KH2, that I understand, but they should have communicated that Kairi knows how to wield a Keyblade and Yen Sid should've trained them all along (it would've been more sensible, too, since Sora and Riku were forced to start from square one).

I can't really comment on the time travel stuff in DDD since I haven't actually played it yet (might take some time still), but yeah, I'll probably disagree with it, too xD

Oh, and make 0.2 longer :( A full-length game or at least half a game. 10 hours of game time would've been nice and I'm sure they would've found enough inspiration for it, but oh well x.x

Take Birth By Sleep's entire combat system and make every other game use it, might as well throw in the Flowmotion from Dream Drop Distance while we're at it. Particularly, remove the card system from Chain of Memories already, it's just an exploitable mess that slows down battles significantly and was never a good idea in the first place.

Speaking of Birth By Sleep, change the worlds. Either have all 3 protagonists go to largely only to different worlds or make it so each protagonist only goes to sections of the same worlds that the other 2 don't have access to. Going through the same areas in worlds with each protagonist except for maybe one or 2 that are locked out from the rest for no real reason is annoying and what makes going through what is otherwise an excellent storyline with each protagonist much more of a boring slog than it could have been.

Dream Drop Distance, throw out the drop mechanic entirely, just let us stay with the protagonist we want to control for as long as we want to control them. That, and just go back to using leveling or BBS' command fusion mechanic to get abilities, having to play and fight with Dream Eaters for dozens of hours to get abilities and commands is extremely annoying especially since the Dream Eaters were basically useless in combat anyway.

I love 358/2 Days the way it is, I just wish it didn't have such godawful graphics that make my eyes bleed looking at it, same with ReCoded. This is why I was so disappointed that the Remixes went the blatantly lazy route and just did the cutscenes for both games instead of just putting the actual game in like they should have.

Edited by immortalfrieza

Take Birth By Sleep's entire combat system and make every other game use it, might as well throw in the Flowmotion from Dream Drop Distance while we're at it. Particularly, remove the card system from Chain of Memories already, it's just an exploitable mess that slows down battles significantly and was never a good idea in the first place.

Speaking of Birth By Sleep, change the worlds. Either have all 3 protagonists go to largely only to different worlds or make it so each protagonist only goes to sections of the same worlds that the other 2 don't have access to. Going through the same areas in worlds with each protagonist except for maybe one or 2 that are locked out from the rest for no real reason is annoying and what makes going through what is otherwise an excellent storyline with each protagonist much more of a boring slog than it could have been.

Dream Drop Distance, throw out the drop mechanic entirely, just let us stay with the protagonist we want to control for as long as we want to control them. That, and just go back to using leveling or BBS' command fusion mechanic to get abilities, having to play and fight with Dream Eaters for dozens of hours to get abilities and commands is extremely annoying especially since the Dream Eaters were basically useless in combat anyway.

I love 358/2 Days the way it is, I just wish it didn't have such godawful graphics that make my eyes bleed looking at it, same with ReCoded. This is why I was so disappointed that the Remixes went the blatantly lazy route and just did the cutscenes for both games instead of just putting the actual game in like they should have.

Actually, I kinda liked CoM's combat system...I always went gung-ho into fights and came out of it feeling a mix of dissatisfaction and relief that being reckless works. But with Chain of Memories, it made me slow down and think, I originally played the game on my GBA and it was difficult. I was running through my cards like I would with money and that didn't help me get anywhere. So I looked up the walkthrough, thinking I did something wrong and it turns out I was...I couldn't go nuts as my abilities were severely limited. I was burning through my only method of attack and I felt kinda terrible. So I decided to start a new game and take my time fighting, and I beat the game within a couple of days! The funny thing about Chain of Memories is the common complaint that it's not like any KH before or after it, and that's a good thing. It was the Game Boy Advance when the game was released...it was limited hardware and they couldn't make a big awesome game on a tiny cartidge so they made due with what they had and made the best KH game they could. CHain of Memories was a long shot for Square Enix and a risk I'm glad they took. They took a huge risk and it turned into one of the highest selling GBA games at the time. It was so good they rereleased it on the PS2! That's what I call nice!! Anyways, that's my take on the matter. If Chain of Memories had to make a change, it would be for it to have been longer...at least the PS2 version.

Apart from some plot points in DDD, nothing really, I kinda like it the way it is so far.

The only thing I would improve though well that's simple bring the games to Steam, and have all future installments of the franchise multiplatform Steam, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Oh and please when ti comes to the spin-offs that are important to the story, I'd rather not have them exclusive to just one system like if Kingdom Hearts gets some spin-offs before Kingdom Hearts 4, I'd rather they be console/PC releases simultaneously.

Eg. Kingdom Hearts 3.145/x^2(Turkey Nipple sauce)square root(9)(X-Blade) gets announced and is important to Kingdom Hearts 4's plot, it should release on PS4/NS/XBOXONE/STEAM/GOG/LINUX not just the Nintendo Switch, or Vita.

Actually, I kinda liked CoM's combat system...I always went gung-ho into fights and came out of it feeling a mix of dissatisfaction and relief that being reckless works. But with Chain of Memories, it made me slow down and think, I originally played the game on my GBA and it was difficult. I was running through my cards like I would with money and that didn't help me get anywhere. So I looked up the walkthrough, thinking I did something wrong and it turns out I was...I couldn't go nuts as my abilities were severely limited. I was burning through my only method of attack and I felt kinda terrible. So I decided to start a new game and take my time fighting, and I beat the game within a couple of days! The funny thing about Chain of Memories is the common complaint that it's not like any KH before or after it, and that's a good thing. It was the Game Boy Advance when the game was released...it was limited hardware and they couldn't make a big awesome game on a tiny cartidge so they made due with what they had and made the best KH game they could. CHain of Memories was a long shot for Square Enix and a risk I'm glad they took. They took a huge risk and it turned into one of the highest selling GBA games at the time. It was so good they rereleased it on the PS2! That's what I call nice!! Anyways, that's my take on the matter. If Chain of Memories had to make a change, it would be for it to have been longer...at least the PS2 version.

That's the thing, there's nothing tactical about the Chain Of Memories card system, not to mention how slow and boring it is, it's just a turned based RPG trying to make itself look like an Action RPG. The Kingdom Hearts series has always had very tactical combat, all but the easiest fights have always been about being able to predict an opponent's actions and dodge and block attacks as necessary looking for an opening. Attacking recklessly will nothing but getting you slaughtered especially on higher difficulties in all but Chain of Memories. However, with Chain of Memories there is no real tactics and the necessity of picking cards to make attacks slows everything down, it's just pack your deck with 9s and a few 0s for sleights and just attack blindly until you win, and it's basically the same with Riku except you can't build a deck there. Combined with the screen flash battlefields and the whole thing just makes fighting a boring chore, and that's not even getting into the gamebreakers that utterly crush any difficulty there possibly could be like the Jafar Ars Arcanum mix. The GBA's technical limitations are no excuse for it either, even if the GBA wasn't already capable of running a Kingdom Hearts RPG in it's entirety there was nothing stopping Square from making Chain of Memories for another more powerful system at the time.

With other Kingdom Hearts games I fight everything I come across without getting bored no matter how strong I happen to be at the time, but with Chain of Memories I find myself actively avoiding fights just so I don't have to deal with them anymore by halfway through the game, especially since I can probably slaughter everything the game can throw at me by then anyway and thus don't NEED to fight anymore. The story is the only reason I even bother with the game in the first place, that is still good.