Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Fun Facts about Square Enix

Seeing as we're all fans of Kingdom Hearts, we're aware of the developers, Square Enix. However, here are a couple of facts that even some of the most hardcore Square Enix fans may not have been aware of...

Xenogears was the original concept for Final Fantasy VII but it was deemed as too dark. To add insult to injury, supposedly, the budget of that game was cut for Final Fantasy VIII. Because Xenogears didn't hit the expected sales targets, Square refused to continue with Xenogears. As a result, Tetsuya Takashi left Square. If he never left Square, Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles would have never existed...

Aside from Dragon Quest, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile are the only other Enix franchises to have been developed by Square Enix after the merger of Enix and Square occurred. Enix did not have internal development studios, thus, Dragon Quest was developed by Chunsoft and Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile was (and still is) developed by Tri-Ace.

Enix owns the Manga and Magazine imprint called Gangan Comics. They're responsible for publishing Mangas in Japan such as Fullmetal Alchemist, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Nabari no Ou, Inu x Boku SS, and Soul Eater. After the Square Enix merger occurred, Gangan Comics aided in the publishing of the Kingdom Hearts manga in Japan as well as other Square properties.

Square Enix USA is actually a consolidated merger (basically a new company formed by mixing two different companies). It's Square Electronic Arts mixed with Squaresoft. For people who are wondering what Square Electronic Arts is, it was a cross-publishing and translation partnership with Square and Electronic Arts. Square EA were the translators for a bunch of SNES, PS1 and PS2 Square games. Squaresoft on the other hand was nothing more than a publishing name. Once Square Enix was formed, Square EA was bought and merged with the publishing company.

Tactics Ogre is an obscure franchise by Square that was the inspiration for Final Fantasy Tactics. Surprisingly enough, that franchise is owned by Square because they bought a company called Quest Corporation. What's even more coincidental is that a bunch of Quest Corporation members left the company to join Square to create Final Fantasy Tactics. Quest Corporation was dissolved because it was a company that was no longer needed.

Most of the current Square Enix executives were originally from the Enix side and not the Square side. You see, Enix was the company that merged with Square and not the other way round. Enix had a lot of financial capital in Japan but no brand recognition internationally. Merging with Square would have solved that situation alongside gaining internal video game developers hence the merger. This is further proven with recent promotion images of Square Enix games. There's the Square Enix "E" on the bottom right corner signifying the Enix influence.

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within didn´t send Squaresoft to bankrupt, they were already having finantial problems way before the movie bombed, the movie was a potential nail in the coffin for Square if anything. However, the sales of Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts regained confidence in Enix for the merger.

Square Enix own Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble and Darius. They did this by acquiring Taito Corporation (the original developers and publishers of those franchises). Square Enix made this merger to compete in the arcade industry against Sega, Capcom, Namco and Konami (as neither Square nor Enix dabbled in arcades before) and to combat changes in the video game industry. Taito is now Square Enix's arcade subsidiary. If anyone knows the game Gunslinger Stratos, Taito helped with development using their arcade hardware.

Square Enix Europe is actually Eidos Interactive. For those wondering who they are, they were the British publishers for Tomb Raider, Gex, Deus Ex, Hitman and Legacy of Kain etc. They were associated with Square Enix after Square Enix bought them as a subsidiary. Eidos Interactive named was changed to Square Enix Europe in order to streamline the company. The renaming was a statutory merger as Eidos Interactive and the former Square Enix Europe division (that was just a European publishing branch unaffiliated with Eidos) was merged to form the present western division. 

Square Enix Japan has supported the Wii U. Before people say that "We know Cloud is in Smash Bros", it goes beyond that. Dragon Quest X is an MMORPG exclusively released in Japan. Sure, it's a port but it's a game available on the Wii U nevertheless.

Hopefully, this has been an enjoyable read for somebody. As they say...

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Guest

This is pretty darn cool! I didn't know about these interesting facts! The only thing I did know, though, was about the whole merging between Enix and Square, that much I knew! But all these others things you listed here are things I hadn't known about till now! Thanks for the interesting read!  It's awesome how Square's met such success to this day, ya know? :)

This is pretty darn cool! I didn't know about these interesting facts! The only thing I did know, though, was about the whole merging between Enix and Square, that much I knew! But all these others things you listed here are things I hadn't known about till now! Thanks for the interesting read!  It's awesome how Square's met such success to this day, ya know? :)

When it comes to these big gaming companies, they're usually mass media conglomerates that have delved into other industries.

By the way, I've added another fact which I completely forgot to mention.

This just reminds me that it is by simple luck that things happen with Square

Xeno would of not existed

KH was merely a chance meeting that ended up succeeding because no one else in Square or Disney had anything else to do and the elevator praise that elevator.

I didn't know like half of these, so it is cool to know.

I don't blame you not knowing, they're all very business-savvy and back burner facts. Now the next time you play Space Invaders Infinity Gene, you'll understand why it was published by Square Enix.

Cloud and Tifa were supposedly going to have sex in FF7 right at the end but Tetsuya Nomura strongly objected to it.

Don't know if that's 100% true but it's interesting.

I didn't add video game specific facts simply because this is more to do with the corporate side of things. Surprisingly, people are unaware of what companies like Square Enix, Bandai Namco and Sega do outside of core franchises. That was my inspiration of making this.

That was fascinating. I did not know that it was Enix that needed to merge, not Square.

Well, it was fairly symbiotic. Both Square and Enix were RPG Goliaths in Japan. After all, Dragon Quest is the Call of Duty of Japan. It's just a culturally relevant video game franchise for Japanese. Thing is though, Enix had no way of competing against Square internationally. Tell me, what Enix games (not Square Enix) have you played? Enix just did not have the cultural phenomenon like Square did.

It just made sense for them to merge so that it's easier to compete against the other Japanese gaming conglomerates. They were both RPG orientated companies. Enix needed to be recognised internationally if they wanted to stay relevant, and after all, if you can't beat your biggest competitor, why not join them?

Edited by Guest

I don't blame you not knowing, they're all very business-savvy and back burner facts. 

I didn't add video game specific facts simply because this is more to do with the corporate side of things. Surprisingly, people are unaware of what companies like Square Enix, Bandai Namco and Sega do outside of core franchises. That was my inspiration of making this.

Well, it was fairly symbiotic. Both Square and Enix were RPG Goliaths in Japan. After all, Dragon Quest is the Call of Duty of Japan. It's just a culturally relevant video game franchise for Japanese. Thing is though, Enix had no way of competing against Square internationally. Tell me, what Enix games (not Square Enix) have you played? Enix just did not have the cultural phenomenon like Square did.

It just made sense for them to merge so that it's easier to compete against the other Japanese gaming conglomerates. They were both RPG orientated companies. Enix needed to be recognised internationally if they wanted to stay relevant, and after all, if you can't beat your biggest competitor, why not join them?

That's fascinating. Cool to learn more about SQEX.

That's fascinating. Cool to learn more about SQEX.

Technically, SQEX is a subsidiary of Square Enix. I know you're trying to abbreviate Square Enix but that's technically incorrect of you. Don't believe me? here's the PDF of evidence of SQEX's existence as a separate subsidiary.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/en/news/2005/download/release_20051216en.pdf

As you can see here, SQEX absorbed the old Taito, and was renamed as Taito. SQEX was originally called The Game Designers Studios (a development subsidiary that created Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles). The Game Designers Studio/SQEX was made for Square to avoid an exclusivity deal with Sony (since they had a large stake in the company after the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within fiasco). 

Technically, SQEX is a subsidiary of Square Enix. I know you're trying to abbreviate Square Enix but that's technically incorrect of you. Don't believe me? here's the PDF of evidence of SQEX's existence as a separate subsidiary.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/en/news/2005/download/release_20051216en.pdf

As you can see here, SQEX absorbed the old Taito, and was renamed as Taito. SQEX was originally called The Game Designers Studios (a development subsidiary that created Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles). The Game Designers Studio/SQEX was made for Square to avoid an exclusivity deal with Sony (since they had a large stake in the company after the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within fiasco). 

Oh my, I didn't know that. I guess I better make sure to say Square then.

Oh my, I didn't know that. I guess I better make sure to say Square then.

It's easy to say SQEX because the Square Enix merchandise page is called SQEX Merchandise, but that's only due to Twitter abbreviations. Saying Square is just as incorrect because that'd mean that you're referring to the company unaffiliated with Enix. Just stick with Square Enix. It's just 9 letters to type.

It's easy to say SQEX because the Square Enix merchandise page is called SQEX Merchandise, but that's only due to Twitter abbreviations. Saying Square is just as incorrect because that'd mean that you're referring to the company unaffiliated with Enix. Just stick with Square Enix. It's just 9 letters to type.

Oh man you're killing me! Alright then, I will just say Square Enix.

Oh man you're killing me! Alright then, I will just say Square Enix.

Well, upon further research, I assumed that both Square and Enix dissolved to form Square Enix, turns out, Square Enix is actually Enix renamed as Square Enix. It just absorbed all of Square's assets in the process of doing so. 

Well, upon further research, I assumed that both Square and Enix dissolved to form Square Enix, turns out, Square Enix is actually Enix renamed as Square Enix. It just absorbed all of Square's assets in the process of doing so.

You're hurting my brain now.

When it comes to these big gaming companies, they're usually mass media conglomerates that have delved into other industries.

By the way, I've added another fact which I completely forgot to mention.

That's pretty darn badass! Square's dabbed in a bit of everything, huh? Pretty impressive, considering the years they've lasted as a company!

Ooh, and as for that fact you mentioned, I had forgotten about that one! I remembered that when I watched Soul Eater and Darker Than Black, they had the Square Enix logo on them, and I had found that curious! So they handled the manga industry too, eh? That's so cool! X_X

You're hurting my brain now.

Basically, Square Enix was originally Enix (and not Square like people presumed). They just had a name change and took all of Square's resources for the new company.

That's pretty darn badass! Square's dabbed in a bit of everything, huh? Pretty impressive, considering the years they've lasted as a company!

Ooh, and as for that fact you mentioned, I had forgotten about that one! I remembered that when I watched Soul Eater and Darker Than Black, they had the Square Enix logo on them, and I had found that curious! So they handled the manga industry too, eh? That's so cool! X_X

Yeah, they're involved in the Manga industry. Thing is though, they're a publisher exclusive to Japan hence why people are not aware of this.

Basically, Square Enix was originally Enix (and not Square like people presumed). They just had a name change and took all of Square's resources for the new company.

Yeah, they're involved in the Manga industry. Thing is though, they're a publisher exclusive to Japan hence why people are not aware of this.

That makes sense. Enix had capital and not name recognition, but Square did have name recognition.

That makes sense. Enix had capital and not name recognition, but Square did have name recognition.

That's exactly it. You've completely understood as to why Square Enix became a thing.

I didn't know some of these. Now it makes sense. The merger makes even more sense now than it did before.

Truth be told, I read these facts through Wikipedia. These Japanese gaming giants do more for the industry than we give them credit for.

That's exactly it. You've completely understood as to why Square Enix became a thing.

Truth be told, I read these facts through Wikipedia. These Japanese gaming giants do more for the industry than we give them credit for.

Yay! I am smart now! I'm giving myself a pat on the back.