Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
LeYenrz

A Thesis on Roxas' Heart

So I've discussed this topic a few years ago in another forum but the results were rather inconclusive. Now that we have more info as the years have gone by, I'd like to talk about it again even though it's a sort of dated topic, so sorry if i'm being redundant. I also want to discuss this again since it's been a few years and this is a somewhat newer audience.

I was on khwiki and reading Roxas' profile under the Personality section it said these two things:

"Unlike other Nobodies, Roxas possesses real emotions, due to his possession of Ventus's heart that stayed with him once he and Sora were separated during Roxas's creation."

"Roxas was born with no memories when taken in by the Organization. Hence, he had no information on the simplest topics or objects, making him comparable to a newborn who grows to learn them, and coming off slow and naive due to it, leading a few others, including himself, to refer to him as a "zombie"."

I find these two passages rather debatable and outdated, since during the events of DDD, it was declared that nobodies could feel the whole time, although they really were born without hearts they could grow one. So that somewhat debunks the first quote. Also, the other point the first quote was pushing was that the reason Roxas could feel because he had Ventus' heart. This is where the second quote comes in.

The agenda I'm pushing is that Roxas was compared to a "zombie" because he couldn't feel anything. Nobodies start without a heart. Of course, Roxas had one: Ven's. But it would be understandable that he wouldn't be able to feel with it since Ventus' heart is broken. Plus consider that if Roxas was feeling with Ven's heart, wouldn't it make sense if he had Ven's personality? But we don't see that happening so it doesn't seem to be the case that Ventus' heart had any direct influence on Roxas' feelings. It would be more plausible to assume that Roxas had developed his own heart by interacting with his friends.

plus im a Akurokushi snob so ha

I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think that Roxas' personality has nothing to do with Ventus or Sora. The only thing relating Roxas to the two is that he bears Ventus' appearance and he has Sora's memories inside him, and is also his nobody. I doubt Roxas even knows that a 'Ventus' exists. Roxas was able to form his own memories and emotions, therefore he grew a heart; his own heart. And so did Xion and Namine.

I also don't agree with how khwiki describes Roxas. They say that he has an "aggressive" and "arrogant" personality, like what is that. So if I get upset when I find out that my existence is meaningless, that makes me aggressive and arrogant? Sure he does act more short-tempered compared to the other two and he acts out more because of it, but it's not what defines Roxas as a person.

I agree with you 100%. Personally, I think that Roxas' personality has nothing to do with Ventus or Sora. The only thing relating Roxas to the two is that he bears Ventus' appearance and he has Sora's memories inside him, and is also his nobody. I doubt Roxas even knows that a 'Ventus' exists. Roxas was able to form his own memories and emotions, therefore he grew a heart; his own heart. And so did Xion and Namine.

I also don't agree with how khwiki describes Roxas. They say that he has an "aggressive" and "arrogant" personality, like what is that. So if I get upset when I find out that my existence is meaningless, that makes me aggressive and arrogant? Sure he does act more short-tempered compared to the other two and he acts out more because of it, but it's not what defines Roxas as a person.

Honestly when you look at KH2's portrayal of Roxas, KHWiki has a rather spot on portrayal of his personality. But at the same time, it's never good to judge on one's personality based on them in a critical point in their lives when they're going through turbulent tension and change. But that's how Roxas seems to cope. And they're just portraying his 'bad side' as 'aggressive'. Even though he wasn't as much so in 358/2, he certainly does have some bravado (although it is sort of a stretch to say that this is arrogance). Not everyone would act aggressive and that upset if they learn that their existence is meaningless. Some would withdraw and be quiet (which is what xion did) while others might even just do nothing about it.

Despite that it isn't his whole personality, neither is it a defining trait, it is true that Roxas does have that component in personality.

Honestly when you look at KH2's portrayal of Roxas, KHWiki has a rather spot on portrayal of his personality. But at the same time, it's never good to judge on one's personality based on them in a critical point in their lives when they're going through turbulent tension and change. But that's how Roxas seems to cope. And they're just portraying his 'bad side' as 'aggressive'. Even though he wasn't as much so in 358/2, he certainly does have some bravado (although it is sort of a stretch to say that this is arrogance). Not everyone would act aggressive and that upset if they learn that their existence is meaningless. Some would withdraw and be quiet (which is what xion did) while others might even just do nothing about it.

Despite that it isn't his whole personality, neither is it a defining trait, it is true that Roxas does have that component in personality.

Exactly. Well, I didn't mean to say that Roxas isn't aggressive at all, I'm sure he made that point pretty clear in KH2 and at the end of Days. But it's also important for them to consider the situation he was in too. Not only was there the whole thing about Roxas' existence, but Axel, someone who he trusted and cared for, had been hiding the truth about Xion and his existence from them. (Although it wasn't as if Axel did it out of ill-will but Roxas' anger is understandable) Theeeen again, how someone would react would depend on their personality too like you said, so... wait, we're getting off topic here, my bad xD My point is that while Roxas may have been influenced by Sora's memories, I would say that a lot of who he is comes from his own experiences and feelings. And Ven's heart plays a very little to no role on Roxas' heart.