Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
TheAlphlex

Could Animation be considered art in the same manner as paintings or a piece of music would be?

Apologies for the lack Kingdom Hearts, but i was wondering if you guys could help me out. I am currently in the process of doing an EPQ on animation at my college and was wondering if i could get a few peoples views on my question. Thank you very much for any help you are able to give. :) 

The chosen question is as above "
Could Animation be considered art in the same manner as paintings or a piece of music would be?"

i look forward to hearing peoples thoughts on this

- Alphlex

It could definitely be considered along the lines of art, but in the same manner as paintings or music? I would disagree. It's its own manner of art. A combination of other arts, considering the animation you speak of involves sound as well. It involves moving pictures, music and many other things that make animation what it is.

Oh and no need to apologise for the lack of Kingdom Hearts. Even as a KH fan site, it's no big deal xD

I think it's valuable to look at why we consider music or a painting art and if that same logic applies to animation. Because really, art is a very broad term. Generally it's a piece of creativity in which the author(s) express themselfs or their feelings toward a certain subject or just in general.

I personally think the label 'art' is very overrated, because in the end the meaning of something, or the feeling you get from something, is completely subjective and can be very different than what the original author intended.

I definitely think animation can be utilized to convey feelings that both paintings and music can, but it also uses literal movement and morphing to its advantage in ways that paintings can't(and music can), while being able to convey clear scenarios  that music can't with(only incredibly abstract imagery; would depend on each individual's experiences and memories while listening). So imo, animation is kind of an in-between if used correctly.

But I definitely think that animation on itself, without music, is really lacking.

There really is no definitive answer to that I guess. The amount of work that has to go into animations is undoubtedly insane, but it really takes a lot for it to be quality art to an observer.

One of the criteria I use for deciding whether things are art or not is if it can evoke some level of introspection, thought, or emotion. And animation can definitely manage to do that as well. I think Fantasia is a good example; the Toccata and Fugue piece is an attempt at drawing an abstract and shapeless thing such as music and produce it into a physical form, yet not in as literal a form of storytelling as The Sorcerer's Apprentice, while still trying to contain the emotional content of the music.

Yes, I do consider that animation is a beautiful art form, and it's indeed one amazing form of art!  For one thing, if it comes to hand drawn animation, you can see the detail, the passion the artists put behind their work, and that passion comes through in fluid motion that allows for top notch animation for cartoon series and anime that we cherish very much!  There are people who've been inspired by animators to pursue careers in art and animation, and I say that in the end, that's what art does.  It speaks to you, inspires you to pick up your creativity and lash out and create something awesome!  That's my view on it, anyway! :3

Hope this helps! :3

Yes, I most certainly say so, I mean it's in that department, and you can't say Walt Disney wasn't an artist. I think if you consider yourself an artist and people try to challenge that, then you've accomplished being artist.