Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
AwesomeKHfan

Birth By Sleep made me hate the Keyblade Master title

Opinion!

Don't get me wrong I love Birth By Sleep... Aquas part of the story, Terra is a idiot, Ven I just dislike and Aqua I just like.

I know there are people who love BBS and I can understand that and respect that and so I hope you respect my opinion on the Keyblade master title.

We have to go back to Kingdom Hearts 1 (Final Battle)

UCMb2d.gif

Round 1: Sora goes to destiny islands and defeats with Donald and Goofy Ansen

Round 2: Sora defeats on his own an darkside heartless and Ansem

Round 3: Sora wins again with Donald and Goofy from Ansem

Sora, Donald and Goofy defeat an all powerful demon #XehanortsHeartless and together with the aid of King Mickey and Riku they close the door. Sora was 14 years old here and had no expierence in his life before his journey started and defeats Ansem

(oké I hear you say ''he got help'' but now we go to KH2)

Kingdom Hearts 2 (Final Battle)

tumblr_m6mxi2E8i21qkmqj8o2_250.gif

Sora defeats Xemnas Round 1

Sora and friends defeat Xemnas Round 2 while he throws buildings at them and uses heartless and an gigantic laser canon.

Sora and Riku fight Xemnas Round 3 (air battle) defeat a freaking ''dragon''

Sora and Riku fight Xemnas Round 4 Sora and Riku fight in the air against Xemnas and the dragon and got thrown buildings at them THEY WIN!

Round 5: Sora and Riku defeat Xemnas 

tumblr_mmu1xjtbe61rheorao3_250.gif

uEGl1U.gif

Enough said... And according Recoded they are not masters and I see everybody hate on the keyblade master exam in DDD but I hate the exam of BBS even more

Aqua-kingdom-hearts-11448953-480-272.jpg

SHE DEFEATS LIGHT BUBBLES AND BECOMES MASTER!

What on earth did she do to get the master title to begin with!? I know we haven't seen their childhood or lessons but this is just stupid in my eyes Sora goes through all that trouble with Riku and they aren't masters.

Maybe they haven't learned the ''proper'' form like Yen Sid says but they hardly change their combat style and Riku becomes master.

I just have started playing BBS again so feel free to correct me

Ikr? Seems like Yen Sid is way stricter than Eraqus xD The light ball challenge is a joke compared to Sora's and Riku's Mark of Mastery. But in the end it doesn't matter, it's only a title.

I do agree with you on the huge gap in difficulty between Terra and Aquas Mark of Mastery Exam and Riku and Soras Exam.  Its Crazy!

However, I have always believed that both exams hold the same amount of merit, and here's why:

In DDD, Sora and Riku are told to forget everything they know about the keyblade and start over anew.  Obviously, this isn't meant to be taken literally, but its a good starting point for the game.  Unfortunately, this means that Yen Sid is basically throwing out everything they had done before that point and judging them on a clean slate, while giving them proper training.  This seems fair because, as a Master, he still needs to make sure that they show the mark rather than just handing it to them.  They have proven themselves and still have more to prove.

In BBS, you have 2 young wielders who have been receiving the proper training from years from one of the most respected Masters ever.  Eraqus had the benefit of seeing them grow and gain strength.  His training, in itself, was also a part of the exam (my opinion), even though you are supposed to cast that aside at the time of the formal exam.  I believe he knew enough about his young pupils to be able to have them just spar with each other, defeat balls of light, reveal truths, etc. to name them both Master with this exam.  Until Terra went all emo and such.

Eraqus felt confident enough in Terra and Aqua to give them this test.  Yen Sid didn't know enough about Sora and Riku because even Sora and Riku didn't know enough about themselves.  Riku was still battling with the darkness inside of him and Sora still had a lot to prove about his strength.

Though none of this is actually stated in the game and this is all just speculation on my part, you can take it for what its worth.  BBS is my favorite game of the series so I have thought a lot about this exact thing and this is what I've come up with, and I dont really think its too far off.

This is really the answer to the question "What makes someone a Keyblade Master?"

A Keyblade Master isn't someone who is extremely strong or powerful. If that were the case, Sora and Riku would have become Masters a hundred times over. A Keyblade Master means that the person has control of the light and darkness in their heart, mainly the darkness cause light doesn't really give any problems... for now at least.

To quote Master Eraqus from Birth By Sleep, "... this is neither a competition nor a battle for supremacy. Not a test of wills, but a test of heart"

Being a Master doesn't necessarily mean you are strong, as we can see Terra (a non-Master) defeat MASTER Eraqus and MASTER Xehanort. Both Terra and Sora failed their respective exams because they couldn't control the darkness in their heart during the exam.

Is it ironic that Aqua and Terra just had to fight Light orbs and each other while Sora and Riku had to awaken seven sleeping worlds? Yes, but this really depends on the Master giving the exam and what they give. It's like in real life with school exams. An exam of one school can be easy compared with the exam of another school. Plus, the intention of the exam in Birth By Sleep was just to become Masters if they pass. The intention of the exam in Dream Drop Distance was for Sora and Riku to become Masters AND gain "a new kind of power." I do agree that it's really ironic, but hey, I don't make the exams so what do I know? Looks at username. Wait...

Sure knowing Sora throughout the games, he's shown to have control over the darkness in his heart (except when Anti-Form comes into play) and Riku had finally shown that not only had he found a way to control the darkness but to also use it to his advantage and walk the road to dawn.

Here's the thing though, much like in real life with regular exams, you need to prove yourself if you know these things or if you can do them. Sure, some exams may be stupid, but again, one must prove themselves and it's the same here.

"Do you have control over the darkness in your heart? You do? Then show me." It's kind of like that, y'know?

This is really my explanation and thoughts on this situation. I respect your opinion completely, I just wanted to state mine and what is a Master to be exact.

Thing is that Terra was a master, or else he couldn't have made the Keyblade ceremony with Riku. Eraqus was just afraid of the darkness, so he didn't let Terra pass. So we still don't really know what a true master is.

Thing is that Terra was a master, or else he couldn't have made the Keyblade ceremony with Riku. Eraqus was just afraid of the darkness, so he didn't let Terra pass. So we still don't really know what a true master is.

Actually Terra wasn't a Master:

-- The Keyblade succession can only be performed by a Keyblade Master, but we see Terra performing this rite with Riku - does this mean we can consider Terra a Keyblade Master?

Nomura: No. Terra was not awarded that title by his Master Eraqus, so no matter how Master Xehanort flatters him he is not a Keyblade Master. But that's just a matter of whether or not he's achieved the official title. Even Eraqus recognised that Terra possessed suitable power to be a Master, which is why he was able to perform the rite for Riku.

Actually Terra wasn't a Master:

-- The Keyblade succession can only be performed by a Keyblade Master, but we see Terra performing this rite with Riku - does this mean we can consider Terra a Keyblade Master?

Nomura: No. Terra was not awarded that title by his Master Eraqus, so no matter how Master Xehanort flatters him he is not a Keyblade Master. But that's just a matter of whether or not he's achieved the official title. Even Eraqus recognised that Terra possessed suitable power to be a Master, which is why he was able to perform the rite for Riku.

Well yeah. That simply states he was worthy to be one, just didn't have the official title.

Being a keyblade master is the KH equivalent of being a mature adult. You can save the world and make everyone happy, but you should never forget to make yourself happy. When you enter puberty, you are confronted with mixed emotions, confusion and an identity crisis. If you manage to find yourself and be aware of where your place in the world is, then you are truly a "master". It's about finding your inner peace.

Terra is naive and too much driven by emotions. He relies too much on physical strength.

Sora is childish and unexperienced. He never felt real suffer or pain, but his character development in DDD hints at a more mature Sora in KH3.

Aqua and Riku deserved the title for obvious reasons. They are able to maintain balance in their heart and have become wise and experienced.

I believe Sora and Riku's test was harder because of Yen Sid...Since BBS, when we saw him training Mickey, I have been under the impression that he was a lot more strict than Eraqus and DDD was a confirmation to me. But, I also think he made their test harder on purpose. Sora and Riku weren't just tested to get their master title, they were also preparing to face the biggest enemy of the whole KH series. So of course they'd have to do more than defeat light bulbs. When Aqua and Terra passed their test, the worlds were at peace...There was nothing drastic happening and Eraqus knew they were strong so the only thing he needed to know to award them with their title was to see if they could control their darkness. And his test did just that, it revealed Terra wasn't in control of his darkness. Also, if you played KH2 then you'd know that Xigbar said that Sora was much weaker than the previous Keyblade bearers (referring to TAV)...So even though Sora defeated powerful monsters (which Terra, Aqua and Ventus also did), he's still not on their level according to the story. Nomura that Sora would be a Keyblade Master in KH3 anyway so why are we even talking about this lol.

I believe Sora and Riku's test was harder because of Yen Sid...Since BBS, when we saw him training Mickey, I have been under the impression that he was a lot more strict than Eraqus and DDD was a confirmation to me. But, I also think he made their test harder on purpose. Sora and Riku weren't just tested to get their master title, they were also preparing to face the biggest enemy of the whole KH series. So of course they'd have to do more than defeat light bulbs. When Aqua and Terra passed their test, the worlds were at peace...There was nothing drastic happening and Eraqus knew they were strong so the only thing he needed to know to award them with their title was to see if they could control their darkness. And his test did just that, it revealed Terra wasn't in control of his darkness. Also, if you played KH2 then you'd know that Xigbar said that Sora was much weaker than the previous Keyblade bearers (referring to TAV)...So even though Sora defeated powerful monsters (which Terra, Aqua and Ventus also did), he's still not on their level according to the story. Nomura that Sora would be a Keyblade Master in KH3 anyway so why are we even talking about this lol.

nice catch on the dialoge in KH2 but I do have to say personally... Paying attention to more than 10 hours of cutscenes is kinda hard

nice catch on the dialoge in KH2 but I do have to say personally... Paying attention to more than 10 hours of cutscenes is kinda hard

Yeah I know...I always liked the foreshadowing in this scene. It showed that Nomura had planned BBS for quite a while and the hints were really subtle. That's why I remember it lol

Opinion!

Don't get me wrong I love Birth By Sleep... Aquas part of the story, Terra is a idiot, Ven I just dislike and Aqua I just like.

I know there are people who love BBS and I can understand that and respect that and so I hope you respect my opinion on the Keyblade master title.

We have to go back to Kingdom Hearts 1 (Final Battle)

UCMb2d.gif

Round 1: Sora goes to destiny islands and defeats with Donald and Goofy Ansen

Round 2: Sora defeats on his own an darkside heartless and Ansem

Round 3: Sora wins again with Donald and Goofy from Ansem

Sora, Donald and Goofy defeat an all powerful demon #XehanortsHeartless and together with the aid of King Mickey and Riku they close the door. Sora was 14 years old here and had no expierence in his life before his journey started and defeats Ansem

(oké I hear you say ''he got help'' but now we go to KH2)

Kingdom Hearts 2 (Final Battle)

tumblr_m6mxi2E8i21qkmqj8o2_250.gif

Sora defeats Xemnas Round 1

Sora and friends defeat Xemnas Round 2 while he throws buildings at them and uses heartless and an gigantic laser canon.

Sora and Riku fight Xemnas Round 3 (air battle) defeat a freaking ''dragon''

Sora and Riku fight Xemnas Round 4 Sora and Riku fight in the air against Xemnas and the dragon and got thrown buildings at them THEY WIN!

Round 5: Sora and Riku defeat Xemnas 

tumblr_mmu1xjtbe61rheorao3_250.gif

uEGl1U.gif

Enough said... And according Recoded they are not masters and I see everybody hate on the keyblade master exam in DDD but I hate the exam of BBS even more

Aqua-kingdom-hearts-11448953-480-272.jpg

SHE DEFEATS LIGHT BUBBLES AND BECOMES MASTER!

What on earth did she do to get the master title to begin with!? I know we haven't seen their childhood or lessons but this is just stupid in my eyes Sora goes through all that trouble with Riku and they aren't masters.

Maybe they haven't learned the ''proper'' form like Yen Sid says but they hardly change their combat style and Riku becomes master.

I just have started playing BBS again so feel free to correct me

Ikr? Seems like Yen Sid is way stricter than Eraqus xD The light ball challenge is a joke compared to Sora's and Riku's Mark of Mastery. But in the end it doesn't matter, it's only a title.

Being a keyblade master means nothing now, it is just a title. 

Xehanort's Report IX -

"We Keyblade Masters have a special gift. We can extract a heart, be it our own or that of another. By continuing this cycle, it is possible to remain in the world of the living forever."

Becoming a Master isn't just a title, even Yin Sid said that Sora and Riku will get a new type of power and I'm pretty sure that he is talking about a different power.

Xehanort's Report IX -

"We Keyblade Masters have a special gift. We can extract a heart, be it our own or that of another. By continuing this cycle, it is possible to remain in the world of the living forever."

Becoming a Master isn't just a title, even Yin Sid said that Sora and Riku will get a new type of power and I'm pretty sure that he is talking about a different power.

Yeah sure, also Masters have access to different knowledge like Aqua in BBS. But you don't become a true master with the title, but because you're worthy. There's a difference.

Yeah sure, also Masters have access to different knowledge like Aqua in BBS. But you don't become a true master with the title, but because you're worthy. There's a difference.

And you're only seen worthy as a master. Pretty much one comes paired with the other in this series.

Edited by Kingdomhe

Aqua and Riku deserved the title for obvious reasons. They are able to maintain balance in their heart and have become wise and experienced.

The problem is, at the time when Aqua is awarded the title of Master, she is neither wise nor experienced.